canadian composer andré cormier asked me, whether i could
having him as a student for an intensive period of study (3
had been teaching and coaching composers on a private
(non-institutional) basis for many years, but never had thought of
anything like this before.
being very enthusiastic about the idea i happily agreed.
helped by a grant of the canadian council of the arts andré
came to düsseldorf july 2009.
very positive experience (both for andré and for me)
inspired me to
think of a way to make this opportunity available to other young
composers as well, so they may benefit from my long-standing experience
not only as a composer and teacher, but also as a concert organizer,
performer and publisher.
you come to düsseldorf (i.e. haan) for a mentoring period of 1, 2 or 3
stay will be an intensive period of study, discussion, analysis,
commentary, advice, support based on your personal needs and wishes.
we work out a personal work plan and meeting schedule.
addition, since i am engaged in a very lively concert series for
experimental music in düsseldorf, you are likely to meet other
interesting composers and musicians.
also, including some of your music in these concerts might be possible.
* process of composing
* works finished or unfinished (your work or works of other composers
yo would like to talk about)
* life as a composer
* collaboration with performers: rehearsal methods, concert preparation
* producing concerts
* collaboration with other composers
* general philosophies regarding experimental art, music, composition
* use of time and silence – techniques and approaches
* musical material, sound/silence
* relations between works (work series, collections, etc.)
* implications of writing for one, two, three, etc…
* (alternate) tunings and its implications
* musical notation (various forms of musical scores, text scores, etc),
implications for performance
some possible goals
* (re)energizing your creative process: overcome stagnation, fears,
* develop a deepened sense of connection to your work
* find out your artistic “truth”: what is it your
work is affirming
* develop a renewed sense of purpose as regards your work
* challenge artistic, social, personal norms
* push boundaries
* find new directions
€ (700 € accommodation
1100 € (1300 € accommodation
1500 € (1800 € accommodation
andré cormier (CAN) , gary schultz (USA), sam sfirri
(USA), christoph korn (D),
charlie usher (UK), daniel brandes (CAN),
jeromos kamphuis (NL),
hendrik rungelrath (D), ole schmidt / chris
weinheimer (D), cem güney (TR),
leo svirsky (USA), miguel angel
tolosa (ESP), marianne schuppe (CH),
jamie drouin (CAN), jorge gomez
abrante (USA), d. edward davis (USA),
mark hannesson (CAN), johan
lindvall (SE), katy bauer (UK), yannick guédon (F),
(CAN), josten myburgh (AUS), alissa cheung (CAN), morgan evans weiler
(USA), bin li (CHN, USA), toby roundell (UK, CHN), tomás cabado
if you are interested, please mail me at
or call me at: